Red Velvet Cake recipe
I’ve been receiving requests for the Red Velvet Cake recipe which I tried out recently. Thought I might just share it in my blog. 😀
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 generous drops of red food gel paste (original recipe calls for 1-2 oz red food colouring)
- 1/2 cup plain hot coffee (from 3 tsp coffee powder + 200 ml boiled water)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Line two 6″ x 3″ baking pans with grease-proof papers. Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Sieve plain flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, combine sugar and vegetable oil until they are homogeneous.
- Mix in the eggs (one at a time), buttermilk, vanilla essence, and red food colouring until combined.
- Add in coffee and white vinegar.
- Combine the dry ingredients (from Step 2) with the wet ingredients a little at a time until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the two baking pans.
- Bake in the middle rack for 50 minutes to an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Slide a knife around the inside of the pans to loosen the cakes from the grease-proof papers. Remove the cakes from the pan and allow them to cool completely before frosting the cake with cream cheese frosting.
PS: I stacked the two cakes on top of each other. Alternatively, you may use one 9″ baking pan right from the beginning, and slice the cake horizontally into two to apply the cream cheese frosting in between.
This recipe was modified from Divas Can Cook‘s. Have fun baking! 😀